Since I became a dog groomer I started a collection of various ribbons and embellishments so I already had a good stash of supplies to start my project. I religiously stalk Michael's and Joann Fabrics to take advantage of the sales, clearances, and coupons. Because of this, all the supplies in the picture below cost under $40.
Then I selected my flower. This entire bouquet of fake flowers only cost me 50 cents on clearance at Michael's. My favorite time to shop are in between the seasons and right after holidays. My favorite time being right after Valentine's day and Christmas.
In a bouquet like this, each flower is attached to an individual plastic and wire stem that is then attached to large, central 'stem' that holds them all together. This might seem like a job for wire cutters but you're in luck! These flowers easily pop right off of their stems. The flowers themselves usually consist of several fabric layers to make them look more full and real. These layers are held together by the flower's center and base. these also easily pull apart. Getting the flower part of your barrette from a dissected bouquet like this is MUCH cheaper then buying the flowers that are actually marketed for barrette making.
Now, unfortunately at this point I burned the bajeezus out of myself and wasn't able to get any good pictures but the next steps are simple. This flower consisted of four layers. I used hot glue to attach the bottom two together at the center. I then arranged white flowers and glued them in between the second and third layers. Then, I glued on the top layer and hot glued my center embellishment to that. Finally, I hot glued the flower to one of my clips. Here's the finished product:
It turned out really pretty but it's definitely large. I'll save it for when the baby is a bit older. If I want something she can wear now, I need to make something a bit smaller. So, I selected some more flowers...
..then took them apart and Frankensteined them back together with a center embellishment.
And then I continued this process a few more times...
I also threw together a cute, sparkly bow....
When I was done I ended up with a nice start on a girly barrette collection. It's a fun, easy hobby to work on in between feedings and diaper changes. I was able to keep my baby close to me the whole time so I could easily replace her binky when it happened to fall out. I think next I'll start working on some pretty holiday bows and flowers.
For some fun, free instructions on bow making I recommend: http://www.girlythingsbows.com/
And for wholesale supplies if you don't happen to have a craft store near you I recommend: http://thehairbowcompany.com/
"No one's gonna mistake me for a boy now!"